Monday, September 22

things past

Decided to start writing a blog to record my sewing projects, past present and future. Well unfortunately not all sewing projects from my past, simply because I do not have photo's of the finished results from when I started sewing more than 30 years ago.
 
When my family and I emigrated to Canada in the late 70's, I asked my mom (thanks mom!) to teach me the basics to sew my own clothing, simply because I did not like the clothing that was being sold in Canadian stores.  Growing up in the Netherlands my mother made some of the clothing for her daughters from patterns in Dutch pattern magazines named 'Knip' and 'Marion' which were very fashionable in the 60's 70's and 80's and the former magazine is still sold today. I always liked fashion but in particular I always preferred to wear coats that were different and stood out in a crowd.  So as a child and teenager I wore a bright yellow fake leather/fur coat, a bright lacquered red coat and a shiny silver metallic rain jacket just to name a few.  What also stands out in my memory is the Holly Hobbie dress my mother made for me when I was a preteen.  When living in Canada in the 80's I was sewing a lot of my own clothing in earnest from Vogue patterns and from the patterns of the German fashion pattern magazine Burda international.

seems appropriate to use barbie since i satred out sewing barbie clothes when i was a kid
I still have the latter magazines, unfortunately I do not have the vogue patterns anymore because I moved back to the Netherlands in 1990 and my family moved to a different town within Canada and my patterns did not move with them.  Nevertheless I still have quite a few Vogue Designer patterns from that era that I managed to buy again on Ebay. And throughout the years I kept buying my Vogue Designer patterns when visiting my family (simply because these patterns are more expensive here in Holland, no sales like in North America).  My favorite designer is Issey Miyake and I own quite a few of his patterns.  Made quite a few of these designs too, though with my small frame some of his designs seem to overwhelm my petite body type.

Anyway, my reason for writing this blog is because I have sewn so much but I have so few photo's of all these past sewing projects from this pre-digital era.  So intend to record and publish on the web for posterity those sewing projects which I still own, which am making now and may be making in the future.  Who knows I might inspire some other sewnistas  ;-)
fabSEWnista
(by the way, fab stands for fabric and/or fabulous designer patterns which i both love, but is not about my sewing skills as I am self-taught, I am not a seamstress )

Some of the photo's of the sewing projects in the posts of this blog are and will be also published on pinterest; https://www.pinterest.com/fabSEWnista/ 

 

No comments: